An effect that many photographers love is the spot color effect. This is where an object in an image is in color while the rest is in black and white. How do you create the spot color effect in Adobe Photoshop? In this video, learn how to create the spot color effect with adjustment layers and blend modes.
- The next technique I'm gonna share…is one that you might love or hate.…If you find spot color effects annoying,…just skip this movie.…But if you're interested in mixing a black and white image…with a hint of color, well that's very easy in Photoshop.…All we need to do is combine the black…and white adjustment layer with a blending mode,…and we can use it as a technique…to subtract color from a scene…while leaving other colors behind.…It works quite well to create a very dramatic effect…that's quite popular with advertisements.…
Some duotones have subtle colors,…for example if we take a look at this.…You see that some of the golds are coming out,…and let's take a look at how this is built.…First up there's a black and white adjustment,…but you'll notice that the blending mode is in use,…in this case the Darker color blending mode.…Then some curves being applied,…just giving us a nice contrasty image.…A little overall change here to hue and saturation,…and the ability to actually knock down…a particular area, all black and white.…
- Adjustment layer basics
- Improving color and contrast with Auto Curves and Auto Levels
- Creating custom black-and-white effects
- Using a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to recolor artwork
- Expert color grading with color lookup tables
- Using gradient maps
- Making nondestructive adjustments with Smart Objects and stack modes
Skill Level Advanced
Photoshop: Filters for Photographywith Chris Orwig1h 36m Advanced
1. Adjustment Layer Essentials
2. The Hidden Power of Auto
3. Beyond Black and White
5. Expert Color Grading with Color Lookup Tables
6. Gradient Maps
7. Smart Objects
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.