Often, you can look at an image and see details right in the channels. How do you create a selection based on the details you see in one of the color channels? In this video, Richard Harrington guides you through how to use a single channel to create a selection in Adobe Photoshop CC 2017.
- As you work with a photo, it's often a good idea…to examine the existing channels.…Sometimes, a channel can serve as the basis…for making a selection.…Let's open up two images here,…and you'll notice that we've done a little bit of work.…In this image, I've really toned down…some of the reddish areas,…so they weren't so strong in the final photo.…I found that they were a bit overpowering,…and I like this more muted feeling.…Well, if I go to the original image…and jump into Channels, I can see different details.…
In this case, we've got the red, the green, and the blue.…Well, I see a lot of red,…so I'll work with the red channel for a moment.…And I want to do a little bit of processing here.…Let's duplicate that channel,…with the right click,…and I'll call this Reds.…Now, I'll select that layer,…turn the other ones off.…If you press Command, or Control, L,…you can invoke a Levels command.…This allows you to make an adjustment.…
I'm going to pull down the contrast here,…so more areas start to go black.…But this works well.…
- What are selections?
- Creating masks from selections
- Moving a selection
- Selecting with the Quick Selection tool
- Transforming a selection
- Using the Refine Edge command
- Selecting a color or tonal range throughout the image
- Making a selection with the Pen tool
- Saving a selection as an alpha channel
- Creating a selection from multiple channels with the Calculations command
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Are Selections?
2. Getting Started with Selection Tools
3. The Wand Tools
4. Refining a Selection
5. Power User Techniques
6. Creating Selections with Channels
What are channels?3m 43s
7. Face-Aware Liquify
Final thoughts1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.