Join Steve Caplin for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating the mask, part of Photoshop: Smart Objects.
- [Instructor] To make a mask for this man,…let's zoom in a little,…and now we'll switch to the quick selection tool.…We'll drag the tool over the figure and you can see…how it snaps to the boundaries.…And does a very good job of making our initial selection.…We've got a bit of wood selected in here that we don't want,…to remove that, hold the Option or Alt key…and drag over it to remove it from the selection.…
Similarly, you'll want to remove this patch of green,…so hold the same key down and take that out,…and we'll want to add this bit of his…hood that hasn't been selected.…And the top of his hat.…To tidy this up, let's just the refine edge dialog,…and because it's a smart object,…it's called Select and Mask.…
And we can see there's a slightly fuzzy edge on this,…so let's smooth this,…and increase the contrast a bit to tighten up that edge.…We can view this in a number of different ways,…we can view it on a white background,…on a black background,…and we can increase the opacity of that background…so we see just the figure by himself.…
- Editing Smart Objects
- Working with multiple layers
- Replacing contents
- Using Smart Filters
- Nesting Smart Objects
- Creating flexible cover shots
- Working with Camera Raw
- Working with videos and Illustrator files
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
Photoshop for Designers: Shape Layerswith Nigel French2h 52m Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Type Effectswith Nigel French5h 28m Intermediate
1. Introduction to Smart Objects
2. Replacing Contents
3. Smart Filters
4. Multiple Smart Objects
5. Flexible Cover Shots
6. Complex Distortion
7. Working with Camera Raw
8. Smart Object Tips and Tricks
Next steps1m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.