Another type of adjustment layer that is underutilized is the gradient map. Gradient maps allow you to remap colors in an image based on a gradient,which could be a gradual blend between two or more colors. In this video, learn ow to use a gradient map in Adobe Photoshop to create dramatic colors.
- Gradient maps allow you to redefine the color…in an image.…A gradient is a gradual blend from one color to another…and in fact, you can use multiple colors.…Mapping means that those colors are assigned…based on luminosity values.…At its simplest effect,…this allows you to tint or heavily stylize the image…but, as you'll soon see,…we can also blend these for more refined looks.…The gradient map is a little used effect…but, it's one of my favorites.…Just go to the adjustment panel here…and choose gradient map.…
Now the method that's used by default…might not be so pleasing.…In fact, let's reset these gradients here…to the default layout…and you'll see with a few exceptions,…most of the default presets are really pretty ugly…but, what's important to note here is that…they're not applied correctly.…While sure this is accurate…that the colors have been remapped,…my suggestion is after you apply that…try changing this.…Something like overlay works quite nicely…to really bleach the image…and then I can lower that down for a subtle color shift,…
- Adjustment layer basics
- Improving color and contrast with Auto Curves and Auto Levels
- Creating custom black-and-white effects
- Using a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to recolor artwork
- Expert color grading with color lookup tables
- Using gradient maps
- Making nondestructive adjustments with Smart Objects and stack modes
Skill Level Advanced
Photoshop: Filters for Photographywith Chris Orwig1h 36m Advanced
1. Adjustment Layer Essentials
2. The Hidden Power of Auto
3. Beyond Black and White
5. Expert Color Grading with Color Lookup Tables
6. Gradient Maps
7. Smart Objects
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.