Another type of adjustment layer that is underutilized is the gradient map. Gradient maps allow you to remap colors in an image based on a gradient, which could be a gradual blend between two or more colors. In this video, learn how to use a gradient map in Adobe Photoshop to create custom duotones.
- In that same black and white conversion pack…are several different presets for duotones,…tritones, sepia tones.…These are gonna unlock a lot of options…for subtly tinting the image.…Now, I suggest that you combine these…with the black and white adjustment layers…so you can blend these in more gently…with an opacity slider, but they also work on their own.…Let me show you how you can create a duotone…or sepia tones effect.…Let's go ahead and add an adjustment layer…for the gradient map.…
But before we do that, I'm gonna choose some colors.…Now, let's select the image itself.…And using the I dropper,…I'm gonna select a nice, rich dark brown.…Then I'll flip the colors here,…and choose a nice, bright highlight.…I think that looks pretty good.…Now, we can tweak the gradient map.…I'm gonna come up and save at this orange color.…Should be my background color.…And this top color here should be my foreground color.…
Now, if I want, I can click to add…additional stops along the way,…and choose the colors that I want.…Let's select something here that's a little bit greener.…
- Adjustment layer basics
- Improving color and contrast with Auto Curves and Auto Levels
- Creating custom black-and-white effects
- Using a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to recolor artwork
- Expert color grading with color lookup tables
- Using gradient maps
- Making nondestructive adjustments with Smart Objects and stack modes
Skill Level Advanced
Photoshop: Filters for Photographywith Chris Orwig1h 36m Advanced
1. Adjustment Layer Essentials
2. The Hidden Power of Auto
3. Beyond Black and White
5. Expert Color Grading with Color Lookup Tables
6. Gradient Maps
7. Smart Objects
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.