Join Nigel French for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a blur effect with Motion Blur and Puppet Warp, part of Photoshop for Designers: Filters.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
In this example, I'm going to combine the motion blur filter with puppet warp. …Here's our starting state, and here is our finishing state. …If we look at the finished state, we can see that we have a layer to which a …motion blur smart filter has been applied. …And there is some work been done on the filter mask. …On top of that, we have an additional layer that is just the arm itself, at a …reduced opacity, in this case 50%. To which motion blur, as well as puppet …warp has been applied. And then a third layer, which is a …blurring of the drumstick itself. And to complete the effect, a color …lookup table. And at the very top of the layer stack, a vignette.…
So let's come to the beginning state. Convert the background layer to a smart object. …And start out with a Motion blur. And I'm going to use an angle of minus 45 …which more or less follows the angle of the drumstick, and a distance of 90 pixels. …Now I want to restrict the amount of blurring that's happening on that layer. …So I am going to fill my Smart filter with black. …
- Understanding the importance of Smart Filters
- Sharpening with filters
- Creative use of filter blend modes
- Painting in the effect of a filter using filter masks
- Combining filters
Skill Level Intermediate
2. Sharpening: What Every Designer Needs to Know
3. Blurring for Effect
4. Artistic Filters
5. Brush Strokes Filters
6. Working with the Distort Filters
7. Effective Use of the Pixelate Filters
8. Using the Render Filters
9. Creative Use of the Sketch Filters
10. Working with the Stylize Filters
11. Using the Texture Filters
13. Applying Camera Raw as a Filter
12. Creative Use of the "Big" Filters
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.