- Working with scanning equipment
- Scanning resolution and cropping
- Advanced digital treatments of scans
- Building a creature with a scanner
- Creating a collage with a scanner
- Scanning botanical specimens from your yard
- Creating a GIF using your scanner
- Processing film negatives with a scanner
- Professional uses for scanography
Skill Level Appropriate for all
- [Instructor] Did you realize you can create amazing images with your desktop scanner? And there's even a fancy name for it, scanography. And these images they might take the form of collages or a kind of high art form of scrapbooking, and they could involve objects from around your home or your office or plants from out in the yard, abstract materials or your face and your hands, or anything else that you can fit on top of your scanner. And one especially cool thing about using a scanner to capture images like these is that your subject doesn't even need to hold still while it's being scanned, depending on the kind of visual story that you're trying to tell.
In other words the world is your oyster and maybe you can even scan that oyster. Hi there and welcome to Creating Art with your Desktop Scanner. I'm Jim Krause and I have been a graphic designer, a photographer, an illustrator for I don't know, most of my life. And I've also written something like 17 books on these topics along with a growing collection of video courses. And believe it or not, after all this time and all these projects I am still not tired of making stuff, of trying my best to make art.
And you know, I'm telling ya, using an ordinary desktop scanner to make art, scanography art, it has to be one of my all time favorite creative outlets. I have a blast with it and I do hope you'll find that my enthusiasm's contagious as I take you through a whole bunch of fun projects and helpful techniques. So stayed tuned and don't be surprised if you find yourself loading up your social media with your images and even printing them out and framing them.
Or maybe even starting up a digital gallery to show off your new found creative outlet, who knows. So fire up your scanner and let's get creating.