Clipping masks in Photoshop offer you a handy way to use one layer as a mask for layers above it in the Layers panel. Mike Rankin demonstrates how to create clipping groups, and how to apply and remove clipping masks.
- [Instructor] Let's take a look … at how to create clipping masks in Photoshop. … If we look at the Layers panel in our exercise file, … on the top is a photo of some hands. … Under that is a layer filled with red, … and then we have a shape layer of a heart. … And at the bottom is a background image of flowers. … And, let's say I wanted to use the heart shape … as a mask for the two layers above it. … We can do that with a clipping mask. … First, I'll make all the layers visible. … And then I'll move my cursor over the dividing line … between the layer I want to be the mask … and the layer above it. … I'll hold the Option or Alt key, … and see my cursor changed … to the clipping mask cursor, and then click. … Now you can see the red layer is masked … by the heart shape, and together, … they're called a clipping group. … And now to add the Hands layer to the group, … again, I'll hold Option or Alt and click … on the line dividing the hands layer from the one beneath. … And clipping masks are totally non-destructive. …
- Benefits of ACA certification
- Creating a study plan
- Planning a project
- Identifying design elements such as typography
- Using layers and masks
- Using brushes, shapes, and patterns
- Drawing and painting
- Transforming graphical elements
- Preparing images for print and web
Skill Level Beginner
Photoshop CC 2019 New Featureswith Deke McClelland1h 48m Intermediate
1. Become an Adobe Certified Associate
2. Create a Personal Study Plan
3. Exam Objectives: Working in the Design Industry
4. Exam Objectives: Project Setup and Interface
5. Exam Objectives: Organizing Documents
6. Exam Objectives: Creating and Modifying Visual Elements
7. Exam Objectives: Publishing Digital Media
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.