Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Correcting blacks, part of Photoshop CS5: Landscape Photography.
Learning to use the tonal sliders in Camera Raw, Blacks, Exposure, Contrast,…Brightness, this takes practice.…Hopefully, you're finding that the histogram helps both in diagnosing problems…and in creating solutions. Let's look at a few more examples.…Obviously, this image needs to be rotated.…I'm going to use the Rotate button at the top of the Camera Raw dialog box.…By now, you should readily recognize this image as being low-contrast, both…because it looks like it has a low contrast and because you can tell from the…histogram that there are no blacks.…You've already seen that you can use the Blacks slider to push image data down…into the blacks of the image.…
I'm going to do that right now.…What we get is a pretty contrasty image.…In fact, it's an image that's possibly too contrasty for the subject matter.…So, as much as I've been harping on the histogram as a tool that lets you…understand what edits you can make to an image where you might need to make to an image,…you also have to keep an eye on content.…
- Getting the shot: landscape-specific shooting tips and tricks
- Choosing the right equipment
- Cropping and straightening images
- Making localized color and tonal adjustments
- Reducing noise
- Guiding the viewer’s eye with localized adjustments
- Adding a vignette
- Using gradient masks to create seamless edits
- Approaching adjustments like a painter–thinking in light and shadow
- HDR imaging
- Creating panoramas: shooting and post-processing techniques
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Performing Basic Edits in Camera Raw
3. Localized Editing and Color Correction in Camera Raw
4. Final Steps in Camera Raw
5. Performing Additional Edits in Photoshop
7. HDR Imaging
8. Converting to Black and White
Black-and-white conversion7m 13s
9. Putting It All Together and Thinking Like a Painter
10. Outputting Images
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.