Join Chris Orwig for an in-depth discussion in this video Converting to black and white, part of Photoshop CS3 Portrait Retouching Techniques.
Now that the image has been cropped, we're ready to continue work on this image.…In particular, we want to convert this image to black-and-white.…Now, before we do that, let's set up Photoshop a little bit here.…I'm going to double-click the title of this panel Navigator to collapse that panel.…I'll also double-click the title Color.…Alright, now I can really focus on my Layers palette here, and let's go ahead and rename this background layer original.…At least it's the original cropped image, then let's copy that by clicking and dragging it to the New Layer icon,…and we'll call this new one bw for black-and-white, the way that we're going to convert this to black-and-white is by clicking…on the Adjustment Layer icon and then choosing Black & White.…
Alright, that will open up our black-and-white dialog Window.…Now, here what we can do is actually change the tone of the image a little bit.…I'm just going to go through these sliders.…Now I know that the reds are going to be the skin tone there, so I can darken the skin or brighten it.…
- Removing distracting background elements
- Cleaning up small skin blemishes
- Reducing and removing wrinkles
- Softening and smoothing skin
- Adding and enhancing makeup
- Enhancing and enlivening eyes
- Brightening and whitening teeth
- Improving contrast and contour
- Adding body shape and dimension
- Cropping and composing a wedding portrait
- Improving portrait lighting
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS3 Portrait Retouching Essentialswith Chris Orwig10h 18m Intermediate
Beyond Skin: Going Deeper with Photoshop CS3with Lee Varis3h 56m Intermediate
Photoshop CS3 Creative Photographic Techniqueswith Chris Orwig10h 58m Intermediate
1. Creative Portrait Retouch
2. Headshot Portrait Retouch
3. Three-Quarter Portrait Retouch
4. Full Body Portrait Retouch
5. Wedding Retouch: The Bride
6. Wedding Retouch: The Cover Shot
7. Reversing the Aging Process
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.