Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Converting to black and white using Black & White adjustment layers, part of Photography Foundations: Black and White.
So far, I've been applying the black- and-white conversion tool by opening an…image and going up here to Image > Adjustments > Black & White, and when I do…that--like I am doing right now, and this is just the same thing we've seen before--…I'm going to make a couple of adjustments to the sliders, hit OK, and when I do,…the black-and-white adjustment is applied to my color image in a destructive…manner, meaning my original pixels are irrevocably altered.…The color image is gone; this is now a black-and-white image.…Yes, I can undo to get back to my color image, or redo to get back to black and white.…
But as soon as I make one more error, I can't do that anymore.…And if I save the image then for sure it is henceforth a black-and-white image.…The problem with that is if I want to keep the color version I have to keep…separate files and so on and so forth, and more importantly, if I decide well,…I'd like to darken that blue sky a little more, I can't get back to those tools in any way.…So, a much better way to apply the black- and-white conversion in Photoshop is to…
- Why shoot in black and white
- How to recognize good black-and-white subject matter
- Preparing the camera
- Shooting a tone-based subject
- Exposing for black and white
- Understanding grayscale
- Converting from color to black and white using Photoshop CS4 or CS5
- Converting to black and white in Camera Raw
- Toning and split-toning
- Comparing high key versus low key images
- Preparing a black and white image for print
Skill Level Intermediate
2. What Is Black-and-White Photography?
3. Shooting in Black and White
4. Black-and-White Post-Production
5. Printing in Black and White
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.