Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Converting to black and white in Camera Raw, part of Foundations of Photography: Black and White.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Earlier, I spent some time haranguing you about shooting in RAW instead of JPEG…because RAW has a number of advantages over JPEG, as we discussed: highlight…recovery, white balance adjustment--which we don't really need as black-and-white…shooters--the ability to preserve 16 bits' worth of data instead of merely 8 bits,…like you get in JPEG.…It's also possible to do your black-and- white conversion in RAW, and we're going…to look at that right now.…I've got this RAW file opened.…This is an exercise file that you can download.…And you can see I've got some blues, some reds, some greens, a bunch of gray.…This is the basic controls for adjusting tone and whatnot.…
But if I go over to here, HSL/ Grayscale, this gives me Hue, Saturation…and Luminous controls and I've got this check box here that says…Convert to Grayscale.…If I do that, again I get a default black-and-white conversion recipe.…And basically, this works just the same way that the Black and White dialog in Photoshop does.…I've got all these different color sliders.…
- Why shoot in black and white
- How to recognize good black-and-white subject matter
- Preparing the camera
- Shooting a tone-based subject
- Exposing for black and white
- Understanding grayscale
- Converting from color to black and white using Photoshop CS4 or CS5
- Converting to black and white in Camera Raw
- Toning and split-toning
- Comparing high key versus low key images
- Preparing a black and white image for print
Skill Level Intermediate
Black and White with Lightroom and Photoshopwith Bryan O'Neil Hughes1h 39m Intermediate
2. What Is Black-and-White Photography?
3. Shooting in Black and White
4. Black-and-White Post-Production
5. Printing in Black and White
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.