Adding transparency to image files is important to many users. One of the things you can do with an alpha channel is to create a mask. How do you use selections to create the alpha channel mask? In this video, Richard Harrington demonstrates output from the Select and Mask command in Adobe Photoshop CC 2017.
- In that select and mask command,…there are several choices that you can choose to output.…You've seen a few of them,…but I want to walk you through what each one does.…Let's reselect the image here, I'll command+click to load,…and I'll choose select and mask.…Scroll down to the bottom, and you'll notice your choices.…For the most part, we've been outputting…as a selection or a layer mask,…and that's what your choices are going to be…if you have an adjustment layer chosen.…Now, if I choose the layer itself…and I invoke select and mask,…you'll notice additional choices.…
You can now make a new layer.…Choosing this will cut the object out…and put it on it's own layer.…There, you see that the crocodile…was cut from the background.…Let's load that, and choose the background here.…I'll choose select and mask, and this time,…I'll choose to output a new layer, but with a layer mask.…Now, it duplicates the layer, but applies a mask.…
This way, if you decide that you need to,…you can click on that mask, grab your paintbrush tool,…
- What are selections?
- Creating masks from selections
- Moving a selection
- Selecting with the Quick Selection tool
- Transforming a selection
- Using the Refine Edge command
- Selecting a color or tonal range throughout the image
- Making a selection with the Pen tool
- Saving a selection as an alpha channel
- Creating a selection from multiple channels with the Calculations command
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Are Selections?
2. Getting Started with Selection Tools
3. The Wand Tools
4. Refining a Selection
5. Power User Techniques
6. Creating Selections with Channels
What are channels?3m 43s
7. Face-Aware Liquify
Final thoughts1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.