Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Combining selections, part of Photoshop CS5: Selections in Depth.
Many of the selection tools come with options that you can use to combine…selections in various ways.…You can create a compound selection by adding to a selection, subtracting from a…selection, or intersecting with a selection.…When you do that, you can use one or more selection tools.…I am going to start with the Rectangular Marquee tool, and I'll use that tool…to select this area of wall on the right side of the image, by clicking and dragging.…Now, let's say that I decide I want to add this freeze to my initial…selection of the wall.…
I'll go up to the Options bar for the Rectangular Marquee tool, and there I see…a set of four icons:…the New selection icon, the Add to selection icon, the Subtract from selection…icon, and the Intersect with selection icon.…These same four icons are available for each one of the Marquee tools, for each…one of the Lasso tools, and in this group, for the Magic Wand tool.…I'll go back to the Rectangular Marquee tool, and in this case I want to Add to the selection.…
- Understanding the when and why of making selections
- Combining and transforming selections
- Selecting fine detail with Refine Edge
- Capturing soft and hard edges in one selection
- Understanding the relationship of selections to masks
- Removing color fringe around selections
- Using the Marquee and Lasso tools
- Working with the Color Range command
- Selecting with the Pen tool and paths
- Making easy selections with the Quick Selection tool
- Working with Refine Mask
- Sharing selections between images
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Advancedwith Deke McClelland26h 24m Intermediate
Photoshop CS5: Creative Compositingwith Chris Orwig4h 41m Intermediate
1. Why Make Selections?
2. Selection Basics
3. Modifying Selections
4. Refining Selections
5. Geometric Selection Methods
6. Drawing Selection Methods
7. Tonal and Color Selection Methods
8. Using Image Properties to Select
9. Saving Selections
10. Working in Quick Mask Mode
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.