This video provides a look at how color images are made up of color channels, and how you can use this knowledge to your advantage.
- [Voiceover] In this movie,…I'm going to talk about color channels.…And we have three versions of this image, the RGB,…the CMYK, and the lab color.…Starting with the RGB, and if I come to the channels panel,…we see that it has three color channels: red, green, blue.…The CMYK version has four: cyan, magenta, yellow, and black.…The lab or L-A-B color has three:…lightness, A, and B.…By contrast, grayscale images, bitmap images,…duotone images, and indexed color images,…all have a single channel.…
A duotone is an interesting case in point.…Even though it allows us to print…in more than one ink color,…there is still only one color chanel.…The color channels store information…about the color of each pixel in the image.…I'm going to come to my eyedropper tool…to lay down a sample point.…I'm going to hold down the Shift key, and click,…and then we see that sample point right there.…And it's telling me,…this particular pixel that I have sampled,…is level 208 red,…level 107 green,…and level 141 blue.…
If I move that around…
- The color wheel and color relationships
- Managing color swatches
- Transparency and color channels
- Working with the Color Picker
- Additive and subtractive color
- Working with color modes
- Performing color correction
- Saturation and desaturation
- Designing with spot color
- Using adjustments: levels, curves, and white balance
- Using auto color adjustments
- Matching color
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Layer Effectswith Nigel French1h 49m Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Type Effectswith Nigel French5h 28m Intermediate
1. Color Terms and Concepts
2. Color Conventions in Photoshop
3. Color Modes in Photoshop
4. Evaluate and Measure Color in Photoshop
5. Enhance Color in Photoshop
6. Techniques for Working with Color in Photoshop
7. Combine Color and Black and White in Photoshop
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.