Landscapes and seascapes can often benefit from a small increment of dramatic colors, particularly when there are dramatic clouds and colors at sunset. In this video, learn how to apply these colors in Lab to this kind of image using selective equalizations.
- [Instructor] Landscapes and seascapes … can often benefit from a small increment … of dramatic colors, particularly when … there are clouds and colors of sunset. … Besides working at low opacity, the trick … with this kind of Lab color equalization adjustment … is to be very careful and also to be selective. … Being careful about exactly what areas are painting … with an adjustment and what opacity, … means working on a duplicate layer. … Along the rocky, cliffbound south side … of the Balearic Island of Menorca, … tall lighthouses guard the shipping routes. … When I framed this silhouetted image … of one of these lighthouses, I could see the fire … of the sunset peeking through the dark clouds. … Wouldn't it be nice to ramp up this fiery … sunset behind the clouds effect in post-production? … With my image converted to Lab color, … I can duplicate my layer, … I can call my duplicate "fire sunset". … And with my A channel selected, … I'm going to go Image, Adjustments, Equalize. … Now in the sunset area, you have all the magenta …
- Converting images to Lab Color space
- Applying Curves to Lab channels
- Selective sharpening
- Inverting channels
- Making per-channel equalizations
- Using the Lab action
- Combining Lab Color with blending modes
- Making patterns with Lab images
Skill Level Advanced
Photoshop: Backgrounds and Textureswith Harold Davis2h 18m Intermediate
Enhancing Landscape Photos with Photoshop and Lightroomwith Ben Long1h 30m Intermediate
Enhancing Night and Low-Light Photos with Photoshopwith Seán Duggan2h 12m Intermediate
1. Fine-Tuning an Image with LAB and Curves
2. Using the Inversion Adjustment
Inverting the A channel3m 25s
3. Working with Equalizations
4. A Palette of Lab Possibilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.