In this video, learn how to use clipping masks as an alternative to layer masks.
- [Narrator] I'm using a layer mask here, … to define the shape of the foliage … of my tree, … and this comes in very handy … because I can now work in the colors … of my layer, … and don't have to worry … about painting over the edge, … because the edge of the tree here … is defined by the layer mask. … And this helps me great deal here … to add some lighting to my tree. … And now I want to show you … an additional masking technique. … It is called a clipping mask … and a clipping mask is a special kind of masking techniques … where you use the transparency … of one layer to mask of another layer. … As an example, … I now want to add some dark shadows here, … into my tree trunk, … and I could do that … by simply locking the transparency … of my tree trunk. … Now pick the color of the tree … and use a darker version of it, … and now I could just paint in … the dark shadows … with the transparency being … protected, but I can also do it … by using a clipping mask. … And for that I would …
- Setting up a digital canvas
- Using palettes
- Selecting color using the Eyedropper
- Fine-tuning pressure of tablet pens
- Adding a Quick Mask
- Trying different Blending modes
- Using the Smudge, Blur, and Sharpen tools
- Using the Mixer brush
- Dodging and burning
- Selective saturation using the Sponge tool
- Using the Clone Stamp tool
- Transforming selections
- Color adjustments
- Changing layer opacity
- Adding shadows and highlights
- Painting a foreground, midground, and background
Skill Level Beginner
1. Setting the Digital Canvas
2. Control of the Digital Screen
3. Tools for Choosing Color
4. Settings for the Brush Tool
5. Additional Tools for Applying Color
6. Supporting Tools
7. Manipulating Color
8. Organizing the Digital Canvas
9. Digital Drawing
10. Colored, Digital Drawing
11. Digital Painting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.