One option that you have when working with adjustment layers in Adobe Photoshop is to clip them with the layer down below, which used to be called“Group with previous,” and lets you define where an adjustment layer is applied. Learn how to clip an adjustment layer to a single layer in Photoshop.
- One option you have when working with adjustment layers…is to clip them with the layer down below.…This used to be called Group with Previous.…This option allows you to further constrain…where an adjustment layer is applied,…and it's particularly useful…if you have a multilayer document.…Let's see.…Now in this case, I've got the same image in here twice.…If you look closely, there is the background layer…and above it is the butterfly that's been extracted.…This can be done using a command like Select…range command here, or Color Range,…which actually does a lotta things, or Focus Area.…
And then taking advantage of the Select and Mask command…to refine it.…I do have complete classes in the library that'll help you…learn more about selections and masking.…Now in this case, I wanna make an adjustment to…just the butterfly and the flower in the foreground.…So I can do that very easily.…For example, if I come up here to the Adjustments section,…I can pick an adjustment like Curves.…Now, you'll see by default if we start to lift the middle…
- Adjustment layer basics
- Improving color and contrast with Auto Curves and Auto Levels
- Creating custom black-and-white effects
- Using a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to recolor artwork
- Expert color grading with color lookup tables
- Using gradient maps
- Making nondestructive adjustments with Smart Objects and stack modes
Skill Level Advanced
Photoshop: Filters for Photographywith Chris Orwig1h 36m Advanced
1. Adjustment Layer Essentials
2. The Hidden Power of Auto
3. Beyond Black and White
5. Expert Color Grading with Color Lookup Tables
6. Gradient Maps
7. Smart Objects
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.