Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Changing part of an image, part of Photoshop CS5: Selections in Depth.
How to use Photoshop's many selection features is an important focus of this…course, but just as important as knowing how to make a good selection is knowing…why to make selections.…So, in this first chapter, I'm going to show you some common situations…that rely on selections.…Please don't worry about making perfect selections or understanding the nuances…of selection methods as you work through this first chapter;…instead, take a step back with me and get a sense of when selections come…into play in Photoshop.…Once we understand when and why to select, I promise we'll get into the…nitty-gritty of how to select in the following chapters.…
The most common and important reason to make a selection is so that you can…change an isolated area of an image.…This is particularly important when all your content is on one layer, as when you…first bring in a photograph from a digital camera or a scanner.…What do I mean when I say make a change?…By change I mean almost anything that you can do to modify the content of a layer.…
- Understanding the when and why of making selections
- Combining and transforming selections
- Selecting fine detail with Refine Edge
- Capturing soft and hard edges in one selection
- Understanding the relationship of selections to masks
- Removing color fringe around selections
- Using the Marquee and Lasso tools
- Working with the Color Range command
- Selecting with the Pen tool and paths
- Making easy selections with the Quick Selection tool
- Working with Refine Mask
- Sharing selections between images
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Why Make Selections?
2. Selection Basics
3. Modifying Selections
4. Refining Selections
5. Geometric Selection Methods
6. Drawing Selection Methods
7. Tonal and Color Selection Methods
8. Using Image Properties to Select
9. Saving Selections
10. Working in Quick Mask Mode
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.