Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Building an object, part of Photoshop CS5: Selections in Depth.
Another use for selections that you may not have thought of is that you can use…selections to create graphics - graphics for the web or for other purposes.…To show you how to do that, I'm going to make a brand-new file from scratch,…going up to the File menu and choosing New,…I will go to the Preset menu and choose web, and I will click OK.…Here, I am going to start by creating a selection with the Marquee tool.…I am going to click and drag to make the body of a simple pipe.…I want to add a rounded end to this pipe,…so I am going to go back to the toolbox, and I am going to select the…Elliptical Marquee tool.…
I will be adding to this selection, so I will go up to the Options bar and click…the Add to selection icon.…Then I will move into the image, and I will click and drag an oval that goes…from the top to the bottom of the pipe, horizontally.…With the mouse still held down, I will press my Spacebar, and I will move over to the left.…When things are all lined up, I will release my mouse and release the Spacebar,…
- Understanding the when and why of making selections
- Combining and transforming selections
- Selecting fine detail with Refine Edge
- Capturing soft and hard edges in one selection
- Understanding the relationship of selections to masks
- Removing color fringe around selections
- Using the Marquee and Lasso tools
- Working with the Color Range command
- Selecting with the Pen tool and paths
- Making easy selections with the Quick Selection tool
- Working with Refine Mask
- Sharing selections between images
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Advancedwith Deke McClelland26h 24m Intermediate
Photoshop CS5: Creative Compositingwith Chris Orwig4h 41m Intermediate
1. Why Make Selections?
2. Selection Basics
3. Modifying Selections
4. Refining Selections
5. Geometric Selection Methods
6. Drawing Selection Methods
7. Tonal and Color Selection Methods
8. Using Image Properties to Select
9. Saving Selections
10. Working in Quick Mask Mode
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.