Join Chris Orwig for an in-depth discussion in this video Brightening hair highlights, part of Photoshop CS3 Portrait Retouching Techniques.
In this movie, we're going to work on the hair.…We'll go ahead and click on the Adjustment Layer icon and choose Curves.…What I'm looking to do here is just to brighten up this Curves adjustment layer and add a little bit of contrast.…So I'll bring up my White Point, bring down my Black Point traditional S-curve, click OK.…Look at the hair before and after, I like that except I don't like the red that was added there.…So I'm going to double-click this layer, go into the Red channel, and I'm going to pull out a little bit of the red there.…So I'm just going to bring that down just a little bit and click OK.…Alright, before and after that's looking great.…
Now I need to invert my mask and I'll do that by pressing Command+I on a Mac, Ctrl+I on a PC.…Now with my Brush tool I'm going to paint with white at about 50% of Opacity.…I'm just going to look to start to bring in these highlights here.…We're going to paint across the hair, particularly the hair that's closer to the face.…Press 8 on the keyboard, bring in a little bit more, bring in 80%, and then double-click the icon for the Adjustment Layer.…
- Removing distracting background elements
- Cleaning up small skin blemishes
- Reducing and removing wrinkles
- Softening and smoothing skin
- Adding and enhancing makeup
- Enhancing and enlivening eyes
- Brightening and whitening teeth
- Improving contrast and contour
- Adding body shape and dimension
- Cropping and composing a wedding portrait
- Improving portrait lighting
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Creative Portrait Retouch
2. Headshot Portrait Retouch
3. Three-Quarter Portrait Retouch
4. Full Body Portrait Retouch
5. Wedding Retouch: The Bride
6. Wedding Retouch: The Cover Shot
7. Reversing the Aging Process
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.