Mike Rankin shows how to control a layer’s opacity, blending mode, and fill opacity in Photoshop. He explains the difference between layer opacity and fill opacity controls in the Layers panel. He also briefly reviews the various blending modes you can apply to layers.
- [Instructor] In this movie, … we'll look at how to control a layer's opacity, … blending mode, and fill opacity, in Photoshop. … First, let's look at the two controls for opacity … in the Layers panel. … One is called Opacity, and the other's called Fill. … The difference between these two is that Opacity controls … the visibility of everything on the layer … including effects like a drop shadow. … In our magazine title layer, we have a drop shadow, … and if I double click it, I can see its specifications. … It's 100 percent opaque, and the size is set to zero, … so this is just a pure black drop shadow, … and it's not feathered at the edges at all. … So it's very distinct. … Now I'll cancel out of here, … and watch what happens if I lower the opacity of the layer. … Both the text and the drop shadow applied to it … will fade out. … I'll put it back to 100 percent, … and now I'll lower the fill value. … And you can see how this is different. … Only the white of the text fades out, …
- Benefits of ACA certification
- Creating a study plan
- Planning a project
- Identifying design elements such as typography
- Using layers and masks
- Using brushes, shapes, and patterns
- Drawing and painting
- Transforming graphical elements
- Preparing images for print and web
Skill Level Beginner
Photoshop CC 2019 New Featureswith Deke McClelland1h 48m Intermediate
1. Become an Adobe Certified Associate
2. Create a Personal Study Plan
3. Exam Objectives: Working in the Design Industry
4. Exam Objectives: Project Setup and Interface
5. Exam Objectives: Organizing Documents
6. Exam Objectives: Creating and Modifying Visual Elements
7. Exam Objectives: Publishing Digital Media
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.