Join Daniel Lieske for an in-depth discussion in this video Basic settings of the Brush tool, part of Drawing and Painting in Photoshop - The Great Training.
- We want to bring some color onto our digital canvas now and our primary tool to do that is the brush tool that we find over here in the tool palette. The brush tool converts our cursor to a virtual brush, and with that I can draw and paint and by the way, I'm not using a mouse, but I'm using a device that's called a graphic tablet, which is a combination of a digital tablet and a digital pen, and it brings the movement of my pen onto the screen and I can draw and paint just like on a piece of paper.
That's something that you can hardly achieve with a mouse and if you're planning to do a lot of drawing and painting on the computer I definitely advise you to get one of these graphic tablets. Now what are the basic options of the brush tool? We have some settings here in the options bar. I want to concentrate on the most important ones for now. Here we can pop up a little window where we can adjust the size of our brush.
But you don't always have to go to the top of the window to achieve that. You can just right click and then the same window pops up wherever you are with your cursor on the screen. You can make your adjustment and with a single click you return to the canvas, and another important setting is the opacity. You might notice that each color application completely covers up what's already on the canvas, but if we lower the opacity of the brush tool, we can apply color in a more transparent manner just like creating different washes of color and the lower my opacity the more transparent these color applications will become.
These are the basic options of the brush tool and that's already a lot. With these basic settings, we can achieve a lot of different effects.
- Setting up your digital canvas
- Controlling the screen
- Choosing color
- Working with brushes, textures, and the Paint Bucket and Gradient tools
- Making selections
- Working in Quick Mask mode
- Stroking and filling paths
- Manipulating color
- Organizing the canvas with layers
- Digital drawing and painting projects
Skill Level Beginner
1. Setting the Digital Canvas
2. Control of the Digital Screen
3. Tools for Choosing Color
4. Tools for the Application of Color
5. Supporting Tools
6. Manipulating Color
7. Organizing the Digital Canvas
8. Digital Drawing
9. Colored, Digital Drawing
10. Digital Painting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.