This video explores the pros and cons of using Auto Color, Auto Tone and Auto Contrast.
- [Instructor] In this movie, I'm going to look at…the Auto options that we have…in a Levels and Curves adjustment.…I'm going to work with Curves.…So when I click on Auto,…we get a much punchier, brighter result.…But what's actually happening when I click that button?…I can access my Auto Options here…on the Properties panel menu…or I can option or alt-click on the Auto button…because we actually have four different algorithms…and they're all going to give us a slightly different result.…
The default is Enhance Brightness and Contrast…and we can see what this is doing to the curve.…It's just working on the brightness and contrast…and it's not going to shift the color.…The second option, and all of these I can mouse over…and I'll see a tooltip.…A not especially useful tool tip, I have to say…telling me what it does.…So Enhance Monochromatic Contrast is going to…move all of the curves the same amount…and it looks like, when we look over at the curve,…only the blue curve has moved…but that's because they're all in exactly the same position…
- The color wheel and color relationships
- Managing color swatches
- Transparency and color channels
- Working with the Color Picker
- Additive and subtractive color
- Working with color modes
- Performing color correction
- Saturation and desaturation
- Designing with spot color
- Using adjustments: levels, curves, and white balance
- Using auto color adjustments
- Matching color
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Layer Effectswith Nigel French1h 49m Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Type Effectswith Nigel French5h 28m Intermediate
1. Color Terms and Concepts
2. Color Conventions in Photoshop
3. Color Modes in Photoshop
4. Evaluate and Measure Color in Photoshop
5. Enhance Color in Photoshop
6. Techniques for Working with Color in Photoshop
7. Combine Color and Black and White in Photoshop
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.