Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Anti-aliasing vs. feathering, part of Photoshop CS5: Selections in Depth.
When you're making a selection to use in a composite with other images, or to…place against another background, you're going to want to be sure that the…selection edge blends well with the other images.…There are a couple of ways to accomplish that.…One is to use anti-aliasing, an option that's enabled by default in Photoshop's…selection tools and Methods.…Another way to blend the edge of a selection with other images or backgrounds…is called feathering.…Anti-aliasing and feathering are very different features and give you different effects.…
In this movie, I'm going to compare a feathered edge to an anti-aliased edge…and to an edge that has neither, an aliased edge, so that you can see the…difference and make better informed choices about which features to apply to…your own selection edges.…I'm going to use the Magnetic Lasso tool to make selections in this movie,…but keep in mind that what I'm going to show you here isn't special for the…Magnetic Lasso tool;…it applies to all the selection methods.…
- Understanding the when and why of making selections
- Combining and transforming selections
- Selecting fine detail with Refine Edge
- Capturing soft and hard edges in one selection
- Understanding the relationship of selections to masks
- Removing color fringe around selections
- Using the Marquee and Lasso tools
- Working with the Color Range command
- Selecting with the Pen tool and paths
- Making easy selections with the Quick Selection tool
- Working with Refine Mask
- Sharing selections between images
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Why Make Selections?
2. Selection Basics
3. Modifying Selections
4. Refining Selections
5. Geometric Selection Methods
6. Drawing Selection Methods
7. Tonal and Color Selection Methods
8. Using Image Properties to Select
9. Saving Selections
10. Working in Quick Mask Mode
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.