Join Robin Schneider for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding a shading layer, option 1, part of Photoshop for Fashion: Warping Pattern Fills.
- [Narrator] Alright, now it's time to add some shading, and…I'm gonna show you two different techniques for doing it.…The first one we're gonna use on the pants.…If you're shading an area that you're not gonna fill…with a fabric or pattern, this works beautifully.…There's a tool over here called dodge,…and hanging out with it is also one called burn.…I'm gonna start with the burn tool.…The burn tool adds shadows, and so if I go ahead…and paint over this, let me adjust the exposure first.…
The default exposure for this is about 50%,…which I think is a little high.…I most like working in the low 20's,…so I'm gonna start there.…That allows me to build up my shadow instead…of being very heavy handed with it in one shot.…So, now if I just lightly paint over my image,…you can see that it's adding shading…and shadows to the green area.…Notice it's not getting this on the coat,…and that's because the only thing in…this layer are the pants,…so I'm not affecting anything else…in my illustration.…
The way I approach this, is I use a larger brush…
- Using and scaling pattern fills
- Making basic patterns
- Turning scanned swatches into a pattern
- Working with textured fabrics or ditsy prints
- Working with other types of repeats
- Preparing your illustration
- Manipulating pattern fills
- Swapping patterns
- Mocking up photos
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop Retouching: Fashion Editorialwith Timothy Sexton58m 7s Intermediate
Illustrator for Fashion Design: Creating Brusheswith Robin Schneider2h 40m Intermediate
1. Important Tools to Know
2. Pattern Basics
3. Working with Scanned Fabric Swatches
4. Prepping the Illustration
5. Manipulating Pattern Fills
6. Swapping Patterns
7. Mocking Up Photos
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.