Join Chris Orwig for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding local contrast, part of Photoshop CS3 Portrait Retouching Techniques.
We're now getting closer and closer to the finish of this project, so one of the things that we want to do it…in this stage is add a little bit of local contrast.…So click on your top layer hold down the Shift key and then click on the retouched layer.…Press Command+E on the Mac, Ctrl+E on the PC.…That will merge all of those layers down and we'll rename this retouched.…So here we can see our before and after; the image is looking so much better.…Let's add a little bit of local contrast, to do that we're going to copy the retouched layer.…So we'll click in and drag that to the New Layer icon and we're going to name this layer local contrast.…
Now, we want to add our contrast before we sharpen, because contrast and sharpening are tied together.…So, I'm going to navigate to my Filter drop down menu and choose Sharpen and then select and Unsharp Mask.…Now with Unsharp Mask I'm going to have a real low Amount, a real high Radius, and a low Threshold, real low Threshold.…So here you can see my before and after by clicking on to the image, and one of the thing that we're going to notice is…
- Removing distracting background elements
- Cleaning up small skin blemishes
- Reducing and removing wrinkles
- Softening and smoothing skin
- Adding and enhancing makeup
- Enhancing and enlivening eyes
- Brightening and whitening teeth
- Improving contrast and contour
- Adding body shape and dimension
- Cropping and composing a wedding portrait
- Improving portrait lighting
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS3 Portrait Retouching Essentialswith Chris Orwig10h 18m Intermediate
Beyond Skin: Going Deeper with Photoshop CS3with Lee Varis3h 56m Intermediate
Photoshop CS3 Creative Photographic Techniqueswith Chris Orwig10h 58m Intermediate
1. Creative Portrait Retouch
2. Headshot Portrait Retouch
3. Three-Quarter Portrait Retouch
4. Full Body Portrait Retouch
5. Wedding Retouch: The Bride
6. Wedding Retouch: The Cover Shot
7. Reversing the Aging Process
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.