Join Chris Orwig for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding local contrast, part of Photoshop CS3 Portrait Retouching Techniques.
In this movie, we're going to add a little bit of local contrast in a couple of unique ways.…Just click on our topmost layer and press Shift+Option+Command+E on a Mac,…Shift+Alt+Ctrl+E on a PC and we'll call this local contrast.…Next, what we're going to do is navigate to the Filter drop down Menu and choose Sharpen, Unsharp Mask.…Now this is a phenomenal way to add a little bit of local contrast.…We're going to go this Unsharp Mask dialogue, Threshold of 0,…Amount is going to be really low, Radius is going to be really high.…What that's going to do for us, it's going to add some local contrast and the amount of contrast it's going to add,…is really going to be contingent upon our amount and the overall radius.…
So I'm going to take my Radius way up, pretty low Amount there and click OK.…Now let's zoom in so that we can actually see what has happened here, here we're at 100%, before and after.…I'll zoom in even further, before and after just adds that nice local bit of contrast.…Now if that isn't enough for you, hit Command+F again.…
- Removing distracting background elements
- Cleaning up small skin blemishes
- Reducing and removing wrinkles
- Softening and smoothing skin
- Adding and enhancing makeup
- Enhancing and enlivening eyes
- Brightening and whitening teeth
- Improving contrast and contour
- Adding body shape and dimension
- Cropping and composing a wedding portrait
- Improving portrait lighting
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS3 Portrait Retouching Essentialswith Chris Orwig10h 18m Intermediate
Beyond Skin: Going Deeper with Photoshop CS3with Lee Varis3h 56m Intermediate
Photoshop CS3 Creative Photographic Techniqueswith Chris Orwig10h 58m Intermediate
1. Creative Portrait Retouch
2. Headshot Portrait Retouch
3. Three-Quarter Portrait Retouch
4. Full Body Portrait Retouch
5. Wedding Retouch: The Bride
6. Wedding Retouch: The Cover Shot
7. Reversing the Aging Process
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.