Join Chris Orwig for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding local contrast and sharpness, part of Photoshop CS3 Portrait Retouching Techniques.
In this movie, we're going to Sharpen this image.…Yet before we sharpen the image, I want to talk about how sharpening the image and contrast relate with each other.…Now, if I create Curves adjustment layer and I decrease the overall contrast, the image does not look quite as sharp.…On the other hand, if I increase the contrast, the image looks really sharp.…So, one of the things that we want to do is we want to add our contrast before we actually sharpen the image…because part of the sharpness equation is contrast.…
Now we did that in the previous movie, which is great.…Yet in this movie, I want to add a little bit of local contrast.…Check this out, what we're going to do is clicking on our topmost layer and then press Shift+Option+Command+E to merge all…of the underlined layers to the topmost layer and we're going to name this layer local contrast.…Next, we're going to navigate to the Filter Drop-Down Menu and choose Sharpen and then Unsharp Mask.…Now, typically by default the way we use Unsharp Mask is we increase our Amount and our Radius and we look…
- Removing distracting background elements
- Cleaning up small skin blemishes
- Reducing and removing wrinkles
- Softening and smoothing skin
- Adding and enhancing makeup
- Enhancing and enlivening eyes
- Brightening and whitening teeth
- Improving contrast and contour
- Adding body shape and dimension
- Cropping and composing a wedding portrait
- Improving portrait lighting
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS3 Portrait Retouching Essentialswith Chris Orwig10h 18m Intermediate
Beyond Skin: Going Deeper with Photoshop CS3with Lee Varis3h 56m Intermediate
Photoshop CS3 Creative Photographic Techniqueswith Chris Orwig10h 58m Intermediate
1. Creative Portrait Retouch
2. Headshot Portrait Retouch
3. Three-Quarter Portrait Retouch
4. Full Body Portrait Retouch
5. Wedding Retouch: The Bride
6. Wedding Retouch: The Cover Shot
7. Reversing the Aging Process
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.