Join Bert Monroy for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding color to the nail polish, part of Creating Commercial Illustrations.
- So now that we have our basic shape of our bottle, I wanna go in here now and start to create the polish that's going to be inside. I'm going to save my path that I've got so far, and I'm going to call it bottle. And what I'm going to do is I'm going to take certain ones. I'm going to take this top one, the side, and that's good. What's going to happen is I'm now going to go in here and copy those, Command-C, and I'm going to turn off my path, make sure I have no layers selected, because if you paste a path and you have a layered selected, it's going to to turn that into a shape layer, or rather a shape mask.
We don't want to have any layers or paths selected. Now I go back to my paths, and I say, paste. And there are those particular paths. Which I'm now going to go in there, and shrink them ever so slightly. I hit Command-T, and shrink them just a little bit. Right there like that. Just a tiny bit. Because that's the edge of the glass inside. I'm going to then also move it up a little bit, like that. Make that happen. Then this bottom part, I'm going to select those.
With the direct select tool I'm going to grab this, and just move these paths straight up. I'll hold down my Shift key, to constrain them, I'm going to bring them up to about there. Click OK. These are going to be the colors for the polish inside. I'm going to go in there, and say, in my layers, right infront of the bottle, but on top of the cap, right there. I'm going to go in and create a new layer, this is going to be and I should create a new group but that's ok. We're going to call this the polish inside.
It's helps to spell things correctly. Now, this is going to be a nice bright red polish. Really nice bright red. Like that. I'm going to grab this guy right here, the guy in front, and in that layer, I'm going to go ahead and fill it. Really bright. I take this guy, this is the one on top. I'm going to go in there and make this a little lighter. Ever slightly lighter. We can kind of see the difference in the color right there.
Click OK. Create a layer for it. Right there. We'll call this top, and go ahead and fill that. There we can see that now we have polish inside the bottle. Now, let's go look at this a little closer here. What's going to happen here is that, the inside of this or the edge of the bottle, it's nice and curved. What I'm going to do is I'm going to take this little edge right here. I'm going to select this edge right there in front, of my top.
There's the top. I'm going to go in there and blur it. I go to my filters and say, Gaussian Blur, and soften these up just enough so that it has a little roundness to it. Click OK. Deselect and there we see that we have this nice little rounded top. There we go. This guy's a little off but that's ok, we can fix that later. There we see that now we have the polish inside the bottle. In the next movie what we're going to start to do is, start adding some lighting to this little bottle.
- Creating a lamp
- Adding realistic lighting
- Adding a wood texture to flooring
- Creating metal grills, bolts, and buttons
- Creating a cutaway view
- Adding shadows and reflections to glass
- Colorizing artwork