Learn how to apply texture using pattern overlay adjustment layers.
- [Tutor] In this example I'm going to show…how we can use pattern fill as a texture.…I'll hold Option or Alt…and click on the eyeball of the bottommost layer…to go back to my starting point.…So what I've done here is using color range,…separate the image into different tonal regions…and then apply different patterns to them.…Now the shadows and the highlights…are just black and white respectively,…but I then have two layers of mid-tones to which…I have applied pattern fills to get this result.…
So let's see how that's done.…I'm going to come to my starting state…and the first thing I'm going to do is…come to the Select menu and choose Color Range.…First of all, I'll choose the Shadows.…I got to set the Fuzziness to 20%…and I'm going to be using that same fuzziness value throughout.…I'll click Okay.…I now have a selection of the shadows from…level zero to level 64.…
I'm going to copy that to a new layer…but as I do so, I want it to be filled with black.…So I'm actually going to come to my…Adjustment layers, choose Solid Color,…
- Sourcing textures
- Add texture with blend modes, masks, and overlays
- Creating texture brushes
- Applying texture with filters
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Working with Shapeswith Nigel French1h 24m Intermediate
1. Apply Texture with Blend Modes, Layer Masks, and Clipping Masks
2. Apply Texture with Brushes
3. Apply Texture with Filters
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.