In this video, author Chad Chelius shows you how to isolate an adjustment to a specific area using layer masks. You'll learn how to create a layer mask from an active selection and how to view the layer mask as well.
- Layer masks allow you to limit an adjustment…to a specific area in a nondestructive way.…It's actually quite simple to create a layer mask,…and it's easy to adjust them as well.…Let me show you how they work.…I'm starting here in the Elements Organizer,…and I want to modify this particular image,…which we've actually done already in a…previous video, so I want to make sure I open the original.…To do so, I'm just going to go to the View menu…and choose Details, and then I'll go ahead…and click on the arrow to open up the version set.…
I want to open up this version where she's pretty…dark in exposure.…So I'll go ahead and click on the Editor button…to open that image in the Elements Editor.…Now you can see here that this particular…picture has the background pretty well exposed,…but here in the foreground we're actually under…a roof and the sunlight wasn't getting in,…so she's a bit darker.…So what I'm going to do here, I'm going to begin…by creating a selection of her.…Using my Quick Selection tool, I'm just gonna kinda…
- Importing photos from a camera, computer, or iPhoto library
- Adding keyword tags and ratings to photos
- Automatically tagging people
- Organizing photos into albums
- Renaming and moving photos
- Correcting common photo problems
- Retouching photos of friends and family
- Adjusting lighting and color
- Working with layers
- Converting photos to black and white
- Cropping and straightening photos
- Adding text to photos
- Working with raw photos
- Making a slideshow
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Familiar with Photoshop Elements 15
The Welcome Screen2m 56s
2. Working with the Elements Organizer
3. Managing Photos in the Elements Organizer
4. Sharing Photos in the Elements Organizer
Emailing your photos3m 15s
5. The Photoshop Elements Editor
6. Photoshop Elements Guided Edits
7. Photoshop Elements Expert Mode
8. Working with Layers
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.