If you need to convert your file formats into another format for delivery, there are many different tools available. These can be online or a utility you can download to your computer. Are there any that are more cost effective? In this video, author Richard Harrington walks you through what file converters are available for you to use.
- If you need to convert your file formats into new type for delivery, there are many different tools available. There are online tools available, but I personally prefer to download a utility to my computer, so I can work online or off, and don't have to worry about uploading large files to the internet just to convert them. If you're on the windows platform, be sure to consider XnConvert. This is a free utility, available for Mac and Windows, that makes it easy to convert from many different file formats.
If you're looking for a affordable tool that's also easy to use, Easy Graphic Converter should be considered. If you're working on the Mac side, you may be able to convert some file formats with the built in preview utility on your Mac. However, Graphic Converter is a well known standard here, that can open and save just about every file format known to man. It's very robust and powerful, and it's shareware, meaning that you can choose to pay for it, if it's a tool that's useful to you.
The XnConvert application is available for free though, for the Mac, and it's also quite useful. Let me show you how easy it is to convert from one file type to another using XnConvert. Let's go ahead and launch XnConvert, and I'll add an individual file. Let's just scroll down here, and let's say I had a Photoshop documents, but didn't have access to Photoshop. I could choose to open that file there, and under actions, I could do any sort of filtering or adjustments or resizing if needed, and I'll just go right to output here, and I'll choose to create a .jpg file.
There we go. Look everything over, and I can choose where to put that. I'll just put it in this source folder, and when I click convert, it'll make a new file, and there you see is the resulting .jpg. One of the other things that's nice about a tool like this, is you can also upload multiple files or an entire folder, or even set a target folder on your desktop to keep an eye on, and it will automatically process things as you drop it in.
Tools like this are quite useful. Now, there are many different file converters out there. This is just one that happens to be free and cross platform. Feel free to explore the different functionality and tool sets to find one that works for you, or check with your company to see if they have a preferred utility that they'd like you to use.
- Reviewing essential technological concepts
- Why does file format matter?
- JPG, PNG, and other raster formats
- Converting file formats with Adobe tools and free utilities
- Resizing images
- Matching visual style
- Adjusting the exposure, color, and size of an image
- Making essential image adjustments in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Adjusting images with online image editors
- Adjusting images in a PDF file with Acrobat Pro
- Intellectual property rights