Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Fundamentals
Photoshop is the world’s most powerful image editor, and it’s arguably the most complex, as well. Fortunately, nobody knows the program like award-winning book and video author Deke McClelland. Join Deke as he explores such indispensable Photoshop features as resolution, cropping, color correction, retouching, and layers. Gain expertise with real-world projects that make sense. Exercise files accompany the course.
Download Deke's free dekeKeys and color settings from the Exercise Files tab.
- Assembling photorealistic compositions
- Understanding image size and resolution
- Correcting the brightness and color of images
- Creating accurate selection outlines
- Retouching and healing photos
- Mastering layers and effects
- Printing and exporting to the web
Welcome to Photoshop CS5 One-on-One
Hi! I am Deke McClelland. Welcome to Photoshop CS5 One-on-One. My cradle-to-grave everything you need to know series on Adobe Photoshop. As the name One-on-One implies I walk you through Photoshop as if I were teaching it to you in a classroom or corporate consulting environment. Except that instead of getting lost in a crowd of students, you receive my individualized attention. It's just you and me, one-on-one. Photoshop is a great big application and there's a lot to know.
Fortunately, I've been using the program since its inception more than 20 years ago. So don't feel overwhelmed. It's all infinitely knowable stuff, as long as you learn it in the right order and at the right pace, which is why I've broken the series into three parts. In this one, I'll introduce you to the essential topics, the stuff that everyone needs to know. We'll start with the Adobe Bridge, which lets you open and organize your images. You can even wow your clients and friends with the slideshow. Then we'll see how to navigate inside Photoshop using a host of zoom and scroll functions.
I'll show you how to address resolution, as well as crop and straighten images. I have a big chapter on correcting brightness, contrast, and color. We'll retouch photographs with the Dodge and Burn tools, as well as the amazing healing brush. Then we'll wrap things up with a look at layers, printing and saving images for the Web. In later parts, I'll lead you into the advanced topics, the ones that are the most likely to expand your creative range in the shortest amount of time. By the end, you will have seen everything Photoshop has to offer.
This is no tips and tricks course. I'm going to make sure you understand how Photoshop works and how you work with it.
Find answers to the most frequently asked questions about Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Fundamentals .
Here are the FAQs that matched your search "" :
- Q: While following along to the tutorial, my copy of Bridge does not have the same Export options as shown in the video. Why are these options missing in my copy?
- A: For some reason, Bridge CS5 shipped without the Export options. They were included when Bridge updated to version 4.0.1. Updating Bridge will restore the export options.
- Q: While following along with the exercises, next to the background layer on my Layers panel \, it shows a brush instead of the small picture, as it does in the video. What can I do to fix this? I erased the exercise files and started over, but it still shows the paintbrush.
- A: This will occur if the Layers panel preview is turned off. To fix this, right-click in the empty gray area below the Background layer. Then choose Large Thumbnails. The thumbnail previews should come back immediately.
- Q: The instructions for installing the dekeKeys don't work on my computer (which is running Mac OS X Lion). Is there an update to these?
- A: The dekeKeys distributed with this course will still work for Lion. You just need to add them to a slightly different folder than in previous versions of OS X.
Open a new Finder window and choose Go > Go to Folder. Type the following file path exactly as written below. Copying and pasting may result in an error.
~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS5/Presets/Keyboard Shortcuts
Move and/or copy/paste the dekeKeys to this folder and follow the rest of the instructions as outlined in the video, "Installing the dekeKeys keyboard shortcuts."
- Q: How do I load the color workflow setting for this course? I downloaded the exercise files, and when I attempt to load the setting into Photoshop, they don't appear in the Finder.
A: These days, it's easier to assign the workflow settings manually. In Photoshop, choose Edit > Color Settings. Then change the first RGB setting to Adobe RGB, and click OK.
Sorry, there are no matches for your search "" —to search again, type in another word or phrase and click search.
Photoshop CC Essential Training (2013)3,249,919 Views
Photoshop CS5 Essential Training4,017,360 Views
Photoshop CC Essential Training (2015)1,931,120 Views
After Effects CC Essential Training2,533,490 Views
Deke's Techniques1,435,609 Views
The Practicing Photographer1,607,809 Views
Premiere Pro CC Essential Training (2014)1,784,172 Views
Foundations of Photography: Exposure5,545,810 Views
Illustrator CC Essential Training (2013)3,019,140 Views