Join Derrick Story for an in-depth discussion in this video Managing your iCloud connectivity, part of Learning Photos for OS X.
- Since a big part of Photos for OSX is its connectivity with iCloud, I just want to show you where that lives, Where those controls live. So I'm here in System Preferences, and we have iCloud right here. So I'm going to open that, and we have all the other iCloud stuff but you'll notice Photos has its own area and I'm going to click on the options button right there. And that reveals three choices.
So the top one, iCloud Photo Library and that's what I'm using here, where it automatically uploads and stores your entire library in iCloud to access photos and videos from all your Apple devices on the web. So that's the box that I've checked. Now, you need to have current versions of iOS, and current versions of Mac OSX, for this all to work. If you have a device that has an older version, let's say of iOS, that still uses a photo stream, if you want you can also enable that right here.
So those devices can upload into Photos for OSX. And it says right here, you know, import your recent photos from devices without iCloud Photo Library, and send new photos to My Photo Stream album on those devices. That's what that box is for. And then if you want to do the photo sharing, create albums to share with other people and subscribe to their albums, you check this box here and I'll show you that. We're going to do a movie on that that's pretty fun. So, that's where you turn the stuff off and on, it's just right here in the System Preferences.
Very easy to get to, and let's get into Photos for OSX.
The course begins with an overview of what Photos is and does, and then provides advice for converting iPhoto and Aperture libraries and adding images to the Photos library directly from a camera. Derrick then details the powerful image editing and sharing options, and shows how to build photo-based projects such as slideshows, greeting cards, books, calendars, and prints directly from Photos.
- Migrating from iPhoto and Aperture to Photos
- Adding pictures to the Photos library
- Creating albums and Smart Albums
- Cropping and editing photos
- Converting a color photo to black and white
- Copying and pasting adjustments
- Sharing photos
- Creating slideshows, prints, and greeting cards
- Exporting photos