Join Derrick Story for an in-depth discussion in this video Converting a photo to black and white, part of Learning Photos for OS X.
- I think black and white photography is terrific and…Photos for OS 10 does really a good job of giving us many…options to create black and white images from our snapshots.…I'm going to show you how that works right now.…Let's do this portrait right here.…I think this portrait's going…to be really good in black and white.…Go ahead and open it up.…Oh, that's not Unnamed,…I just haven't added a Faces' name to it yet.…Let's go to Edit right here.…All right.…
Two ways: one, we'll go to Filters,…and we have some basic settings right here.…They're pretty good.…That's not what I'm after.…I think we can do even better.…So I'm going to go to None.…We're working on the JPEG right now,…let's get the most out this image that we can.…Let's go to RAW.…I can just do that on the fly by holding down the ctrl…button and saying I want to use RAW as the original.…
Let's go to the Adjustments menu and we have…Black & White waiting for us right here.…So I can click on Auto and get a basic Black & White.…I can use the dynamic slider…and get something like this…
The course begins with an overview of what Photos is and does, and then provides advice for converting iPhoto and Aperture libraries and adding images to the Photos library directly from a camera. Derrick then details the powerful image editing and sharing options, and shows how to build photo-based projects such as slideshows, greeting cards, books, calendars, and prints directly from Photos.
- Migrating from iPhoto and Aperture to Photos
- Adding pictures to the Photos library
- Creating albums and Smart Albums
- Cropping and editing photos
- Converting a color photo to black and white
- Copying and pasting adjustments
- Sharing photos
- Creating slideshows, prints, and greeting cards
- Exporting photos
Skill Level Beginner
Mac OS X Yosemite Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 4m Appropriate for all
Photos for OS X: Enhancing Imageswith Richard Harrington2h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started in Photos
2. Working with Basic Editing Tools
3. Sharing Your Photos
4. Creating Photo Projects
Final thoughts1m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.