Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Why use HDR for black-and-white images?, part of HDR Photography: Shooting and Processing.
HDR is a great tool for the black-and-white shooter.…Now that may sound a little counterintuitive, because very often when we think…of HDR images, the first thing we think of are those big juicy HDR colors.…So what good could HDR possibly do for the black-and-white shooter?…I'm going to show you three reasons why if you like to shoot black-and-white…you're going to want to consider learning HDR techniques, and beginning to…practice with them and work them more into your black-and-white vocabulary.…The first, if you like to shoot landscapes, is clouds.…
HDR makes the most beautiful clouds you're going ever hope to have in a photo,…and you get all this wonderful detail, all this fine texture.…So if you're a black-and-white landscape shooter having HDR at your disposal,…it is going to let you add much more drama to your skies.…The reason that skies look so good in HDR is that HDR is great at bringing out…lots of fine detail in an image, and this is the second reason that as a…black-and-white shooter you want to learn some HDR techniques.…
- Understanding how the image sensor detects shadows
- Capturing a broader dynamic range
- Knowing when to use HDR
- Finding good HDR subject matter
- Using gradient masks to improve dynamic range
- Merging in Photoshop and processing elsewhere
- Dealing with ghosting
- Reducing noise and correcting chromatic aberrations
- Handling HDR images that seem flat
- Combining HDR and LDR (low dynamic range)
- Selective editing with HDR Efex Pro
- Creating panoramic HDR images
- Creating an HDR time lapse
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Masterywith Deke McClelland20h 1m Advanced
2. What Is HDR?
3. Shooting and Organizing HDR
4. Expanding Dynamic Range Through Masking
5. Processing Multi-Shot HDR Images in Photoshop CS5
6. Additional Retouching and Finishing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.