Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Three methods for capturing more dynamic range, part of HDR Photography: Shooting and Processing.
When you encounter a scene with very high dynamic range, there are several…different ways that you can choose to handle it.…In Foundations of Photography: Exposure we looked at three ways of handling…backlight situations.…Fill flash, intentionally overexposing, or using a different metering mode.…These options will help even out the exposure, so that your foreground…element is well exposed, but they won't necessarily capture the full dynamic…range of your scene.…Depending on your image, you might still have an overexposed sky or an…underexposed shadow area in your scene somewhere.…
If you want to really capture more dynamic range, then you'll need to resort to…one of these tactics.…First, you can try to assess if there's really a picture to be had. …There may not be, because it may simply not be possible to capture a usable image in some…situations, especially if you're shooting into bright lights or something which…can cause bad flare on your lens.…Hopefully though, you'll find that one of these alternatives works.…
- Understanding how the image sensor detects shadows
- Capturing a broader dynamic range
- Knowing when to use HDR
- Finding good HDR subject matter
- Using gradient masks to improve dynamic range
- Merging in Photoshop and processing elsewhere
- Dealing with ghosting
- Reducing noise and correcting chromatic aberrations
- Handling HDR images that seem flat
- Combining HDR and LDR (low dynamic range)
- Selective editing with HDR Efex Pro
- Creating panoramic HDR images
- Creating an HDR time lapse
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Masterywith Deke McClelland20h 1m Advanced
2. What Is HDR?
3. Shooting and Organizing HDR
4. Expanding Dynamic Range Through Masking
5. Processing Multi-Shot HDR Images in Photoshop CS5
6. Additional Retouching and Finishing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.