Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Single-shot HDR, part of Shooting and Processing High Dynamic Range Photographs (HDR).
Tone mapping is a very powerful tool.…It can cherry-pick the very best tones from a multitude of images to create a new final image.…Now obviously the more image data that it has to work with, the better the…chance is that the tone mapping software will be able to find a good source tone…for every little pixel in your image.…As you've seen an image with higher bit depth can have a broader selection of…tones than an image with a lower bit depth.…JPEG images always have 8-bits per pixel, while RAW files typically have 10…to 14 bits per pixel.…So it's usually better to shoot RAW images for your HDR work, for the greater Bit Depth.…
If you worked with RAW, then you know that the same RAW file can be processed in different ways.…You can change white balance, alter contrast, increase or decrease the exposure.…Perhaps you see where I'm going with this.…To make an HDR, we need at least three images with bracketed exposures, but can…you create just that from a RAW file? Sort of.…You can take a RAW file, process it normally, save that, then lower the…
- Understanding how the image sensor detects shadows
- Capturing a broader dynamic range
- Knowing when to use HDR
- Finding good HDR subject matter
- Using gradient masks to improve dynamic range
- Merging in Photoshop and processing elsewhere
- Dealing with ghosting
- Reducing noise and correcting chromatic aberrations
- Handling HDR images that seem flat
- Combining HDR and LDR (low dynamic range)
- Selective editing with HDR Efex Pro
- Creating panoramic HDR images
- Creating an HDR time lapse
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5: Landscape Photographywith Ben Long6h 43m Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Masterywith Deke McClelland20h 1m Advanced
Foundations of Photography: Exposurewith Ben Long3h 24m Appropriate for all
2. What Is HDR?
3. Shooting and Organizing HDR
4. Expanding Dynamic Range Through Masking
5. Processing Multi-Shot HDR Images in Photoshop CS5
6. Additional Retouching and Finishing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.