Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Single-shot HDR images in Photomatix, part of HDR Photography: Shooting and Processing.
Earlier I mentioned a technique called faux-HDR, which is kind of a phony HDR…process and you may have thought about this already.…If normally for HDR I need to shoot a normally exposed image, an underexposed…image, and an overexposed image, why can't I just take my normally exposed image…into my RAW processor, create an underexposed version, save that out, then…create an overexposed version, save that out, and pass those three final images…off to my HDR merging process?…That is actually what the faux-HDR technique is.…
It's creating a bracketed set from a single original.…And it works pretty well, but it's not actually a full-on substitute for truly…shooting a bracketed set. And here's why.…If I shoot this image like this, taking it into my RAW converter and darkening it …simply does not yield the same information as actually shooting a darker…image and truly capturing that different tonal range.…So this is a bit of a hack. It's a fake thing.…It is again faux-HDR, but it can work very well for certain situations.…
- Understanding how the image sensor detects shadows
- Capturing a broader dynamic range
- Knowing when to use HDR
- Finding good HDR subject matter
- Using gradient masks to improve dynamic range
- Merging in Photoshop and processing elsewhere
- Dealing with ghosting
- Reducing noise and correcting chromatic aberrations
- Handling HDR images that seem flat
- Combining HDR and LDR (low dynamic range)
- Selective editing with HDR Efex Pro
- Creating panoramic HDR images
- Creating an HDR time lapse
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Masterywith Deke McClelland20h 1m Advanced
2. What Is HDR?
3. Shooting and Organizing HDR
4. Expanding Dynamic Range Through Masking
5. Processing Multi-Shot HDR Images in Photoshop CS5
6. Additional Retouching and Finishing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.