Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Single-shot HDR images in HDR Efex, part of Shooting and Processing High Dynamic Range Photographs (HDR).
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Single shot or faux HDR is the process of spitting out three separate exposures…from the same RAW file and then merging those.…We looked at how to do that in Photomatix.…Now we are going look at how to do it in HDR Efex and it's actually very simple.…I open an image in Photoshop just like I normally would, go to Filter > Nik…Software > HDR Efex Pro, and it takes care of generating those different…exposures from the same image data, and now I've got all of my normal HDR…controls that I would have even if I was working with a bracketed set.…
Just as in Photomatix, all of these sliders are going to do far or less than…they would if I was working with a real HDR set and for the little bit that they do, …I am going to run into highlight clipping and shadow clipping much sooner…than I would with a real HDR set.…So this is not a substitute for full HDR, but again, it's a great thing to have…for times when shooting a bracketed set is not practical or possible.…
- Understanding how the image sensor detects shadows
- Capturing a broader dynamic range
- Knowing when to use HDR
- Finding good HDR subject matter
- Using gradient masks to improve dynamic range
- Merging in Photoshop and processing elsewhere
- Dealing with ghosting
- Reducing noise and correcting chromatic aberrations
- Handling HDR images that seem flat
- Combining HDR and LDR (low dynamic range)
- Selective editing with HDR Efex Pro
- Creating panoramic HDR images
- Creating an HDR time lapse
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5: Landscape Photographywith Ben Long6h 43m Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Masterywith Deke McClelland20h 1m Advanced
Foundations of Photography: Exposurewith Ben Long3h 24m Appropriate for all
2. What Is HDR?
3. Shooting and Organizing HDR
4. Expanding Dynamic Range Through Masking
5. Processing Multi-Shot HDR Images in Photoshop CS5
6. Additional Retouching and Finishing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.