I am out here on this old railroad trestle to do a little HDR shooting.…And before we get started on how I am going to do that, I want you to notice something.…The light is beautiful.…I am out here in the late afternoon/early evening because that's when you-- and the plants are getting closer--…because that's when you take good pictures.…Just because I'm shooting HDR, just because I am going to have this tremendous…amount of dynamic range and color to work with, doesn't mean that I don't have to…worry about good light.…HDR is not a substitute for good light.…I still want the long shadows, I still want the rich textures, I still want the…deep color, I still want the nice tone that I get from afternoon light.…
You don't go out at noon and because you are shooting HDR, suddenly I have this…magic bullet for bad light.…So I've waited for the light to turn good, I've looked for subject matter that's…going to work well in the good light and here I am.…Why did I choose this location?…A couple of reasons.…
- Understanding how the image sensor detects shadows
- Capturing a broader dynamic range
- Knowing when to use HDR
- Finding good HDR subject matter
- Using gradient masks to improve dynamic range
- Merging in Photoshop and processing elsewhere
- Dealing with ghosting
- Reducing noise and correcting chromatic aberrations
- Handling HDR images that seem flat
- Combining HDR and LDR (low dynamic range)
- Selective editing with HDR Efex Pro
- Creating panoramic HDR images
- Creating an HDR time lapse
Skill Level Intermediate
Photography Foundations: Compositionwith Ben Long5h 29m Intermediate
Photoshop CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
Canon 5D Mark III Essential Trainingwith Ben Long5h 30m Beginner
2. What Is HDR?
3. Shooting and Organizing HDR
4. Expanding Dynamic Range Through Masking
5. Processing Multi-Shot HDR Images in Photoshop CS5
6. Additional Retouching and Finishing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.