Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video More dynamic range masking, part of HDR Photography: Shooting and Processing.
Selectively editing tones like we did in the last movie is basically like…dodging and burning in a darkroom.…For years darkroom photographers have struggled to selectively tone images using…analog dodge and burn techniques, which entail a long time to master.…Fortunately, our digital tools are much easier.…However, the gradient tool that we looked at in the last lesson isn't…appropriate for every image, because you don't always have an area that you want…to mask that has a straightedge on one side.…Fortunately, Photoshop has lots of it in the masking tools.…
Now a full masking lesson is way beyond the scope of this course, but we're…going to take a quick look at two more masking examples, both of them instances…where a gradient filter wouldn't work.…In the Chapter 4 exercises folder you should have an image called cat.…Open that up and again this is a raw file, so it'd open in Camera RAW.…And I've got pretty much the same situation I had last time. I got a sky that I…would like to get a little more dramatic.…
- Understanding how the image sensor detects shadows
- Capturing a broader dynamic range
- Knowing when to use HDR
- Finding good HDR subject matter
- Using gradient masks to improve dynamic range
- Merging in Photoshop and processing elsewhere
- Dealing with ghosting
- Reducing noise and correcting chromatic aberrations
- Handling HDR images that seem flat
- Combining HDR and LDR (low dynamic range)
- Selective editing with HDR Efex Pro
- Creating panoramic HDR images
- Creating an HDR time lapse
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Masterywith Deke McClelland20h 1m Advanced
2. What Is HDR?
3. Shooting and Organizing HDR
4. Expanding Dynamic Range Through Masking
5. Processing Multi-Shot HDR Images in Photoshop CS5
6. Additional Retouching and Finishing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.