Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Merging in Photoshop and processing elsewhere, part of HDR Photography: Shooting and Processing.
As I mentioned earlier, Photoshop often does a much better job with aligning…multiple image than does either Photomatix or HDR Efex Pro.…It doesn't mean that you give up on those programs for alignment.…They might be fine, especially if you are using a tripod, but if you're shooting…handheld, you may find that you've got to do your merging in Photoshop.…Let me show you what the difference is here.…This is, I am looking at 100%, a 1:1 pixel ratio, of this image that was merged in Photoshop.…Now, I didn't bother finishing it. Don't worry about the fact that it's a little drab.…
Just pay attention to the sharpness, and here along this column, and this…is the same set merged in Photomatix.…Much softer in here, all of these details are much softer now.…By the time we shrink this movie down for delivery, I don't know how apparent…this will be, but imagine, if you will, that this image is much softer.…Trust me, if you do some tests on your own of handheld images, maybe just as…you're working, you will find that very often in Photomatix and HDR Efex your…
- Understanding how the image sensor detects shadows
- Capturing a broader dynamic range
- Knowing when to use HDR
- Finding good HDR subject matter
- Using gradient masks to improve dynamic range
- Merging in Photoshop and processing elsewhere
- Dealing with ghosting
- Reducing noise and correcting chromatic aberrations
- Handling HDR images that seem flat
- Combining HDR and LDR (low dynamic range)
- Selective editing with HDR Efex Pro
- Creating panoramic HDR images
- Creating an HDR time lapse
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Masterywith Deke McClelland20h 1m Advanced
2. What Is HDR?
3. Shooting and Organizing HDR
4. Expanding Dynamic Range Through Masking
5. Processing Multi-Shot HDR Images in Photoshop CS5
6. Additional Retouching and Finishing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.