Here is a weird one.…If the amount of light in this room is doubled, I do not actually perceive a…doubling of light. I perceive less than that.…All your senses work this way actually.…If someone hands me a bowling ball and then they hand me a second bowling ball, …I'll probably think, "I really wish this personal will stop handling me bowling balls."…Then I might actually realize that I'm not experiencing a doubling in weight.…Our senses are nonlinear.…That is my sense of brightness does not follow perfect doublings. My sense of…brightness increases on a curve.…
Now don't worry too much about understanding that.…The practical upshot of it is that we end up with a very good ability to see…detail in bright highlights and dark shadows.…The image sensor in your camera though captures light in a linear fashion.…If you double the amount of light, the image sensor records a doubling of brightness.…This has a curious effect on image capture and it goes like this.…Let's say my camera can capture 4,096 different shades or tones.…
- Understanding how the image sensor detects shadows
- Capturing a broader dynamic range
- Knowing when to use HDR
- Finding good HDR subject matter
- Using gradient masks to improve dynamic range
- Merging in Photoshop and processing elsewhere
- Dealing with ghosting
- Reducing noise and correcting chromatic aberrations
- Handling HDR images that seem flat
- Combining HDR and LDR (low dynamic range)
- Selective editing with HDR Efex Pro
- Creating panoramic HDR images
- Creating an HDR time lapse
Skill Level Intermediate
Photography Foundations: Compositionwith Ben Long5h 29m Intermediate
Photoshop CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
Canon 5D Mark III Essential Trainingwith Ben Long5h 30m Beginner
2. What Is HDR?
3. Shooting and Organizing HDR
4. Expanding Dynamic Range Through Masking
5. Processing Multi-Shot HDR Images in Photoshop CS5
6. Additional Retouching and Finishing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.