Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Handling HDR images that are "flat", part of HDR Photography: Shooting and Processing.
As we've been discussing throughout this course, one of the great things about…HDR, in fact the reason to use HDR, is that it can give you good exposure…throughout the full tonal range of your image.…One of the problems you're going to run into with HDR though is that it gives…you good exposure throughout the full tonal range of your image and we're going…to see in this lesson why that can be a problem.…Go to the Chapter 6 folder and grab images 319, 320, and 321 and merge…them using Photoshop.…These images were shot handheld and Photoshop is going to do a better job of…giving us a good merge than will Photomatix or HDR Efex.…
And I know that because I've tried it in all three and this is the one where it works the best.…When it's done aligning the images, we end up here in our Tone Mapping dialog box.…Now we're going to do our tone mapping in Photomatix.…What I want to do here is spit out a 32-bit image, so I make sure the Mode is set to 32.…I also want to remove ghosts.…You may think this is a shot of the fence, there's nothing moving.…
- Understanding how the image sensor detects shadows
- Capturing a broader dynamic range
- Knowing when to use HDR
- Finding good HDR subject matter
- Using gradient masks to improve dynamic range
- Merging in Photoshop and processing elsewhere
- Dealing with ghosting
- Reducing noise and correcting chromatic aberrations
- Handling HDR images that seem flat
- Combining HDR and LDR (low dynamic range)
- Selective editing with HDR Efex Pro
- Creating panoramic HDR images
- Creating an HDR time lapse
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Masterywith Deke McClelland20h 1m Advanced
2. What Is HDR?
3. Shooting and Organizing HDR
4. Expanding Dynamic Range Through Masking
5. Processing Multi-Shot HDR Images in Photoshop CS5
6. Additional Retouching and Finishing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.