Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Ghosting and Photoshop, part of HDR Photography: Shooting and Processing.
If you are shooting at bracketed set of HDR source images and something in your…scene moves between shots, you can end up with a ghosting problem.…This is actually a pretty intuitive thing.…Let's take a look at this set.…I am going to switch over here to Filmstrip mode so we get a bigger view.…While taking their shot, these kids moved and so if I take these three images…and mush them together, we get a problem because in this image there is an arm…here, and in this image there is not.…So what should it choose to do with these things?…Of course, it doesn't know from arms, and so what it will end up doing is…putting half arm and half lovely hillside, and I will get this kind of…semi-transparent arm over this hill.…
That's called ghosting because you end up with these kinds of ghostly figures in your scenes.…Fortunately, most HDR processing software today has a ghost removing…mechanism of some kind.…We are going to look at Photoshop so I am going to just launch right into a…merge here which I do just like I always would. Select my images in Bridge and…
- Understanding how the image sensor detects shadows
- Capturing a broader dynamic range
- Knowing when to use HDR
- Finding good HDR subject matter
- Using gradient masks to improve dynamic range
- Merging in Photoshop and processing elsewhere
- Dealing with ghosting
- Reducing noise and correcting chromatic aberrations
- Handling HDR images that seem flat
- Combining HDR and LDR (low dynamic range)
- Selective editing with HDR Efex Pro
- Creating panoramic HDR images
- Creating an HDR time lapse
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Masterywith Deke McClelland20h 1m Advanced
2. What Is HDR?
3. Shooting and Organizing HDR
4. Expanding Dynamic Range Through Masking
5. Processing Multi-Shot HDR Images in Photoshop CS5
6. Additional Retouching and Finishing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.