There are many technical benefits of using light modifiers. You can take smaller light sources and make them seem larger, and even adjust how the subject looks in your image. What are some other technical benefits of light modifiers? In this video, author Robert Vanelli discusses the technical benefits of using light modifiers on light sources.
- There are many benefits of using light modifiers.…We can take a small light source…such as the speedlight and make it large.…With the right modifier and positioning of the light,…we can shape the light to make a heavier person…appear slimmer, or the opposite,…add a little volume to a slimmer person.…We can smooth the skin of an elderly woman…to make them look a little younger,…or modify the light to intensify a man's muscles.…
Understanding the purpose of modifiers…and what they do will help you transform…from thinking technical to becoming creative.…Now, I hear a lot of people wanting to get better…at portrait photography, so they ask their children…to sit in on some of the sessions.…Now, if you're a parent, you totally understand…that's not going to work, especially if you're trying…to learn something new for the first time.…So, my suggestion is set up either like a mannequin…or even an egg to help you understand…what the light is doing.…
Then when you start to feel more comfortable,…then bring in your children or bring in a friend…
- What is a lighting modifier?
- Technical and artistic benefits of lighting modifiers
- Using an umbrella to bounce light
- Lighting portraits with an umbrella
- Lighting a portrait with a softbox
- Shooting with a beauty dish
- Softening light with diffusers
- Adjusting color temperature using gels
- Lighting a portrait with a speedlight