Join Chris Orwig for an in-depth discussion in this video The magic of doorway light, part of Learning Natural Light Portrait Photography.
- Next, I want to talk about the magic…of working with doorway or garage light.…Now, why am I calling it garage light?…Well, often this type of light comes…from scenarios like this.…With this example, the guy here, my subject Jeff,…is standing literally in front of his garage.…And what this type of light is...…Is often what you'll do is, you'll have someone standing…in a space where there is walls surrounding them…above and on the sides and back,…and they're facing that open light.…Now, that type of light can afford you to create…really strong, really powerful and wonderful portraits.…
Let me go through a few examples here…so you can see what I mean.…Here I have a subject sitting in a doorway,…and in order to create the look that I have…in the black and white version of the photograph,…I just had her step back into the darkness…just a little bit.…Now, the camera doesn't necessarily pick up the darkness…behind her.…It's almost like she's illuminated…from that opening in front of her.…And that gives us the ability to create images…
In this course, photographer Chris Orwig shows how to shoot effective portraits in natural light—even when the light isn't great. Chris explains how to find the best light, use open shade to your advantage, and leverage the uniqueness of doorway light. He also goes into camera and lens considerations, creating better compositions, working with people, planning for a shoot, and tackling a live shoot. Plus, he shares some tips for earning income as a people photographer.
- Why back light is great for portraits
- Lighting from the side
- Using open shade to your advantage
- Working with dappled and window light
- Camera and lens considerations
- Choosing the right lens
- Creating better compositions
- Posing and directing subjects
- Preparing for a shoot
- Earning income as a people photographer
- Jumpstarting your professional delivery
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Lighting: Natural Lightwith Erin Manning40m 58s Beginner
Narrative Portraiture: On Location in New York Citywith Chris Orwig1h 30m Intermediate
1. Find the Best Light
2. Camera Craft
3. Create Better Compositions
4. Working with People
Advanced tips9m 7s
5. Planning Ahead
6. Live Shoot
7. Turn Your Passion into Profit
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.