There are many artistic benefits of using light modifiers. These range from making an image look harsh to creating an elegant look for your subject. What are some other artistic benefits of light modifiers? In this video, author Robert Vanelli discusses the artistic benefits of using light modifiers on light sources.
- We can modify a harsh light and make it soft and pleasing.…We can shape the light and guide it across our subject…for an elegant look.…We can modify the light to create shadows…to produce a dramatic image.…We can even mix light and add different modifiers…to create killer images.…Embrace lighting modifiers.…They are the creative tools that'll help…us photographers tell an artistic story.…Like most of you,…I bought my first strobe and I was so excited…to get it thinking that the moment I added…that light to the scene it was going to become magical.…
Well, it wasn't.…The first time I went out and did a shoot…I was so discouraged I put that away…and decided to only work with natural light.…Then it dawned on me.…If I use the sun as a strobe,…and use that concept and understand what the sun was doing,…and I had a great grasp of that,…using studio strobes were going to be pretty easy.…So, I took time, went into the studio…and visualized the sun.…And I used that strobe, like the sun,…and I started creating killer portraits.…
- What is a lighting modifier?
- Technical and artistic benefits of lighting modifiers
- Using an umbrella to bounce light
- Lighting portraits with an umbrella
- Lighting a portrait with a softbox
- Shooting with a beauty dish
- Softening light with diffusers
- Adjusting color temperature using gels
- Lighting a portrait with a speedlight